A Little About Us:
Making fans - That’s what we’re all about! Since our humble beginnings in 2011, these two words have driven Big Viking Games to the success it is today. With over 100 Vikings already on board, and studios in both London, ON and Toronto, ON, we are masters in the free-to-play mobile and social gaming markets. In this short time, Big Viking Games has proudly amassed millions of loyal fans across its many popular titles with no signs of slowing down. We believe by investing in our employees and in new technologies, such as HTML5, we can continue our success for years to come. With that in mind, we are on the hunt for exceptional talent to join our growing team, and that’s where you come in!
The Nitty Gritty:
We are searching for a proactive and creative Product Manager to join our PTR (Platform, Tools, R&D) team to champion the product vision & strategy while guiding product progression of our next-gen web based HTML5 focused internal game engine and editor. The candidate will leverage data, competitive insights and best practices lead the team to build a broadly used development platform and tool for both internal teams and company partners. This position is available in either our London or Toronto, Ontario studios.
- Understand and translate the broader organizational strategy and internal customer needs to document the product’s vision and scope
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, and use cases; working closely with engineering, UX, business development, and marketing
- Actively engage in observing internal customers and understanding their needs
- Create concise long term product roadmaps
- Decompose Epics and business requirements into user stories, functional requirements, specified in an appropriate level of detail suitable for use by those that base their work on the requirements, including architecture, development, and testing
- Define and document assumptions, constraints, and other nonfunctional requirements.
- Manage prioritization and backlog for the development team
- Constant communication with other product managers, management and the development team to ensure consistent alignment on features and timelines
- Understand the current state of the editor and engine and be able to clearly communicate what it supports, doesn’t support and will be challenging to support
- Drive continual product improvements and inform the product roadmap with new ideas based on ongoing research, market/competitive analysis, and product performance
- Proactively manage budget and recruiting needs for the team to ensure a high velocity in the face of current, new and changing requirements.
- Work closely with product teams to understand their needs and the issues / challenges they face with the platform as they continue to evolve
- Understand and champion the end-consumer use-cases that will rely on this new platform
- Key owner of non technical product documentation and user stories from stakeholders.
- 3-5 Years experience a technical product manager
- Experience as a PM in a game development environment and/or a game engine development
- Experience in working with a variety of game engine and game engine technologies
- Degree in engineering or computer science or equivalent
- Ability to understand and translate the broader strategy and internal customer needs to document the product’s vision and scope
- Ability to actively prioritize feature request from multiple product teams
- Ability to understand tech trends, see how they impact your roadmap, and how they drive innovation
- Ability to understand technical challenges and make educated trade-offs with your team
- Skilled in developing OKRs, user stories, and at guiding cross-functional teams to ensure all teams are coordinated throughout the product development process
- Agile program/project management methodologies with the ability to manage both up and down
Nice to Haves
- Experience in successfully leading a cutting edge product development in a fast paced environment
- Expertise of product features in the game editing and game engine world
- A technical background either as an engineer and/or technical artist
- Obsessive over accurate and concise communication
- Being comfortable serving many product managers and teams with different priorities
- Being strategic across the business
- Strong understanding of open web technologies, HTML5, webGL, etc. a strong plus
- Competitive salaries & participation in the Employee Stock Option Plan
- Comprehensive benefit package (health, dental, and vision), including general time off policies
- Stocked kitchen, unlimited snacks and beverages, along with breakfast and daily hot catered lunches. Viking can't work on an empty stomach!
- Free in-studio registered massage therapy. Viking muscles need love too
- Lots of other great perks such as frequent company paid outings, events and get-togethers
Becoming a Viking:
Does the idea of working for a gaming company doing what you love every day sound exciting? Great, we’d love to hear from you! Send us your resume and cover letter.
Big Viking Games is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.