A Little About Us:
Making fans - That’s what we’re all about! Since our humble beginnings in 2011, these two words have driven Big Viking Games to become the successful company it is today. With over 100 Vikings already on board, and studios in both Toronto and London Ontario, we are focused on making our mark by building awesome free-to-play mobile and social games. Big Viking Games has proudly amassed millions of loyal fans across its many popular titles with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. We believe that by investing in our employees and in new technologies, such as HTML5, we can continue our success for years to come. With that in mind, we are on the hunt for exceptional talent to join our growing team, and that’s where you come in!
The Nitty Gritty:
We are looking for a Director of Technology to provide guidance and fuel the growth of the global services teams at BVG. The focus for the global services teams is Data Science and Development Operations teams. The Director will be experienced in platform engineering, application architectures and continuous delivery in an agile framework. This role is full time, based out of our Toronto studio.
- Technical leadership and strategy for the global service teams that align with company goals and needs
- Ownership of the technical roadmap and architecture to facilitate the portfolio-level architecture processes
- Drive innovation and implementation of our core technology platforms
- Lead, grow and scale the Data Science and Development Operations teams
- Drive game engine development. You are ultimately accountable for the technical quality of the product and the overall architecture of the systems
- Provide technical expertise to develop cutting-edge technologies, including architecture, design, prototyping, implementation, testing and debugging, documentation, maintenance and support
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate systems, such as data platforms and API’s
- Responsible for continuous deployment and integration improvement for BVG
- Improve code coverage through unit tests
- Perform regular code reviews with all members of the development team to ensure a high level of maintainability within the code base
- Foster a culture of open, honest, and respectful communication across all disciplines
- Participate in recruitment, training & coaching to enhance individual effectiveness and professional growth
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- 12+ years of experience with at least 7+ years of experience as a technical leader
- In-depth knowledge of technical concepts and strategies which align to business goals
- Proven track record of delivering projects on time, including successful launches of either internal or external products
- Prior experience building distributed platforms, systems and/or game engines that are scalable
- Oversee IT initiatives
- Solid understanding of continuous delivery practices, infrastructure operations and agile program implementation associated with servicing multiple internal clients and aligning software programs with guiding business strategies
- Extensive software architecture experience
- Knowledge of cloud platforms - AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with Scripting languages such as Python, Scala or PHP
- Experience with Linux distribution ie- Centos
- Familiar with HTML5 engines and current or emerging technologies such as Web Assembly and/or other emerging web technologies
- Experience with Database architecture and design: both relational and nonrelational
- Experience leading and scaling multiple teams, along with mentoring and coaching of more junior staff
- Gaming experience is a bonus
- Competitive salaries, Group Retirement Savings Plan matching & participation in the Employee Stock Option Plan
- Comprehensive benefit package (health, dental, and vision), including generous time off policies
- Stocked kitchen, unlimited snacks and beverages, along with breakfast and daily hot lunches. Vikings can't work on an empty stomach!
- Lots of other great perks such as frequent company paid outings, events and get-togethers.
Becoming a Viking:
Does the idea of working for a gaming company doing what you love everyday sound exciting? Great, we’d love to hear from you! Send us your resume and cover letter.
Big Viking Games is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.