A Little About Us:
Making fans - That’s what we’re all about! Since our humble beginnings in 2011, these two words have driven Big Viking Games to become the successful company it is today. With over 100 Vikings already on board, and studios in both Toronto and London Ontario, we are focused on making our mark by building awesome free-to-play mobile and social games. Big Viking Games has proudly amassed millions of loyal fans across its many popular titles with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. We believe that by investing in our employees and in new technologies, such as HTML5, we can continue our success for years to come. With that in mind, we are on the hunt for exceptional talent to join our growing team, and that’s where you come in!
The Nitty Gritty:
We are looking for a VP of Technology to provide guidance and fuel the growth for tech teams at BVG. This is a strategic leadership opportunity which reports directly to the CEO. The VP will be experienced in platform engineering, application architectures and continuous delivery in an agile framework. This role is full time, based out of our Toronto studio.
- Technical leadership and strategy that aligns and drives company goals and needs
- Own the technical roadmap and lead architecture to facilitate portfolio-level architecture processes
- Drive innovation and implementation of our core technology platforms
- Building and scaling highly effective development teams
- Lead and scale all technology initiatives
- Drive game engine development. Ownership for the technical quality of the product and architecture standards
- Lean and high-velocity agile software processes with continuous delivery
- Provide technical expertise to develop cutting-edge technologies, including architecture, designing, prototyping, implementing, testing and debugging, documenting, maintenance and support
- Defines team organization and composition for execution and delivery by hiring, managing, and mentoring key delivery team leaders
- Own technical best practices, continuous deployment and integration improvement for BVG
- Drives key decision making for all aspects of strategy and planning for the engineering department
- Foster a culture of open, honest, and respectful communication across all disciplines
- Participate in recruitment, training & coaching to enhance individual effectiveness and professional growth
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- 12+ years of experience with at least 7+ years of experience as a technical leader
- In-depth knowledge of technical concepts and strategies which align to business goals
- Proven track record of driving technical excellence
- Prior experience building distributed platforms, systems and/or game engines that are scalable
- Experience leading and scaling multiple teams, along with mentoring developers
- Extensive software architecture experience
- Preference given to those who are passionate about gaming or have experience from the gaming industry
- Knowledge of cloud platforms - AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Familiar with HTML5 engines and current or emerging technologies such as Web Assembly and/or other emerging web technologies
- Experience with Database architecture and design: both relational and nonrelational
- Competitive salaries, Group Retirement Savings Plan matching & participation in the Employee Stock Option Plan
- Comprehensive benefit package (health, dental, and vision), including generous time off policies
- Stocked kitchen, unlimited snacks and beverages, along with breakfast and daily hot lunches. Vikings can't work on an empty stomach!
- Lots of other great perks such as frequent company paid outings, events and get-togethers.
Becoming a Viking:
Does the idea of working for a gaming company doing what you love everyday sound exciting? Great, we’d love to hear from you! Send us your resume and cover letter.
Big Viking Games is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.