A Little About Us:
Making fans - That’s what we’re all about! Since our humble beginnings in 2011, these two words have driven Big Viking Games to become the successful company it is today. With over 100 Vikings already on board, and studios in both Toronto and London Ontario, we are focused on making our mark by building awesome free-to-play mobile and social games. Big Viking Games has proudly amassed millions of loyal fans across its many popular titles with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. We believe that by investing in our employees and in new technologies, such as HTML5, we can continue our success for years to come. With that in mind, we are on the hunt for exceptional talent to join our growing team, and that’s where you come in!
The Nitty Gritty:
We're looking for a talented Front End Developer will be responsible for designing, developing, and improving new and existing web applications, and front-end user experiences for a large variety of primarily internal facing applications.
Additionally this position will work with cross functional teams, understand and refine UI requirements, document and educate others on modern development processes, stay current with new front-end web development technologies, provide guidance to other development teams, and develop reusable page elements and libraries for use on other sites. This position is available at either our London, ON or Toronto, ON studio.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Work closely with Platform engineers on projects that serve the entire company
- Create internal web tools to support use-cases with modern and intuitive web interfaces
- Overhaul internal web tools that require substantial design and implementation revamps
- Work closely with other teams to capture their tools needs and drive better requirements
- Design and implement game content/management widgets
- Develop new user-facing features
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Assure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
- Familiarity with MySQL, other databases
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as as Gimp or Photoshop is a plus
- Familiarity with API endpoints, authentication and data transformation
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Bachelor's, Computer Engineering and/or Computer Science and/or Information Technology or equivalent experience
- At least 3 years of experience in front-end development in HTML5, CSS, JS environments
- At least 2 year experience developing single page applications with AngularJS, Backbone consuming JSON-based RESTful APIs
- At least 2 year developing REST services
- Experience with unit testing and E2E test frameworks (e.g., Protractor for AngularJS)
- Experience building applications using one or more MV* patterns (MVC, MVVM, etc.)
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills
Nice to Haves
- Experience in Gaming Tool Development
- Experience developing for mobile web
- Experience with developing games in JS or C++
- Experience with Java
Becoming a Viking:
Does the idea of working for a gaming company doing what you love every day sound exciting? Great, we’d love to hear from you! Send us your resume and cover letter.
Big Viking Games is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.