A Little About Us:
Making fans - That’s what we’re all about! Since our humble beginnings in 2011, these two words have driven Big Viking Games to become the successful company it is today. With over 100 Vikings already on board, and studios in both Toronto and London Ontario, we are focused on making our mark by building awesome free-to-play mobile and social games. Big Viking Games has proudly amassed millions of loyal fans across its many popular titles with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. We believe that by investing in our employees and in new technologies, such as HTML5, we can continue our success for years to come. With that in mind, we are on the hunt for exceptional talent to join our growing team, and that’s where you come in!
The Nitty Gritty:
You love pushing the limits of what is technically possible! As the Director you are an expert at balancing a strong vision while providing teams’ ownership of their product. You will collaborate with various members of the Production team with the primary goal of providing strategic planning and direction. You will also collaborate with multiple technical teams to improve technical infrastructure to ensure the best player experience is built for our fans. You will work to define and embody a development culture that crosses team boundaries and encourages frequent discussions and collaboration.
You have a strong mix of technical and managerial experience within the gaming industry, with mobile experience being a strong preference. Based out of our Toronto, ON studio you will oversee both of our studio locations in London, ON and Toronto, ON.
- Technical leadership for cross-platform direction for Live Operations and R+D that align with Company goals and needs
- Lead, grow and scale the Platform & Tools team
- Close collaboration with the Director of Technology-Global Services, Development leads and internal and external technology partners, to deliver technical strategy to enable our business direction
- Own the technical roadmap and architecture to facilitate portfolio-level architecture processes
- Solid understanding of continuous delivery practices, infrastructure operations and agile program implementation for multiple products to align software programs with guiding business strategies
- Ensure the team has the tools, technical processes and best practices to develop in an agile and efficient way
- Oversight for the quality of code; driving engineering practices around testing and sustainable software development
- Responsible for the overall architecture, scalability, extensibility and easy rapid release of features
- Collaborate with Production and other stakeholders for requirement analysis and to break down high-level requirements into actionable development strategies
- Coaching and mentorship for the team to grow
- Promote a culture of innovation that shares technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody a cross-functional development culture that works for all areas, encouraging knowledge transfer
- Responsible for continuous deployment and integration improvement for BVG
- Provide technical leadership to support the launch and maintenance of various titles
- Actively facilitate communication between teams. You will clearly and concisely implement best practices and processes to ensure that all developers are on the same page.
- You will be the technical point of contact within the organization (internally and externally) in order to identify workflow, integration points, technical dependencies and risks
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- 12+ years of development experience, preference is given to those with a mobile and social game development background with 7+ years of experience as a technical leader
- Previous experience with HTML/Web Development
- Experience developing multi-platform projects, with several successfully launched mobile or social products. You yourself are a gamer!
- Proven hands-on experience implementing gameplay features, with advanced knowledge of engine and gameplay development
- Experience with distributed cloud backend development on AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience leading and scaling multiple development teams, along with mentoring and coaching of more junior staff
- Proven collaborative leadership techniques with the ability to build consensus and achieve results with all levels of the organization
- Competitive salaries, Group Retirement Savings Plan matching & participation in the Employee Stock Option Plan
- Comprehensive benefits package (health, dental, and vision), including generous time off policies
- Stocked kitchen, unlimited snacks and beverages, along with breakfast and daily hot lunches. Vikings can't work on an empty stomach!
- Lots of other great perks such as frequent company paid outings, events and get-togethers.
Becoming a Viking:
Does the idea of working for a gaming company doing what you love everyday sound exciting? Great, we’d love to hear from you! Send us your resume and cover letter.
Big Viking Games is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.