A Little About Us:
Making fans - That’s what we’re all about! Since our humble beginnings in 2011, these two words have driven Big Viking Games to become the successful company it is today. With over 100 Vikings already on board, and studios in both Toronto and London Ontario, we are focused on making our mark by building awesome free-to-play mobile and social games. Big Viking Games has proudly amassed millions of loyal fans across its many popular titles with no signs of slowing down any time soon. We believe that by investing in our employees and in new technologies, such as HTML5, we can continue our success for years to come. With that in mind, we are on the hunt for exceptional talent to join our growing team, and that’s where you come in!
The Nitty Gritty:
We’re searching for a highly motivated Technical Director to work closely with the remainder of our Development team alongside our Product Managers, Art Director, and Game Designers with a primary goal of providing strategic planning and direction. You will work with multiple teams to improve the technical infrastructure, ensuring that best player experience is build for our fans. Based out of either our London, ON or Toronto, ON studio (your preference) you will oversee both locations.
- Balance hands-on technical work with technical leadership to support launching and maintaining of various titles.
- Promote a culture of innovation that shares technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody a cross functional engineering culture that works for all franchises, encouraging knowledge transfer
- Identify and manage technical risks and opportunities, taking responsibility for the quality of technical deliverables
- Play a key role on the cross-functional and cross-disciplinary strategic product leadership team
- Provide technical expertise to develop cutting-edge technologies, including: architecture, design, prototyping, implementation, testing and debugging, documentation, maintenance and support
- A quarterback of communication, you will clearly and concisely implement best practices and processes to ensure that all developers are on the same page.
- You will be the technical point of contract within the organization (internally and externally) in order to identify workflow, integration points, technical dependencies and risks
- Perform regular code reviews with all members of the engineering team to ensure a high level of maintainability within the code base
- You will be the point person for growth of all programmers within the studio through team leadership and mentorship, in addition to taking part in the hiring process
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- 8+ years of game development experience, preference given to those with a mobile and social game development background
- 5+ years of experience as a Technical Director, with 2+ of those years within a mobile/social game development studio
- Mix of technical and managerial experience within the mobile and social branches of the gaming industry a strong bonus
- Deep understanding of algorithms, design patterns, debugging and performance optimization
- Experience developing multi-platform projects, with several successfully launched mobile or social game titles. You yourself are a gamer!
- Proven hands-on experience implementing gameplay features, with advanced knowledge of engine and gameplay development
- Server experience a strong bonus
- Experience leading engineering teams, along with mentoring and coaching of more junior staff
- Experience with HTML5 and Unity development
- Previous Flash development experience an asset
- Competitive salaries, bonus program, Group Retirement Savings Plan matching & participation in the Employee Stock Option Plan
- Comprehensive benefit package (health, dental, and vision), including general time off policies
- Stocked kitchen, unlimited snacks and beverages, along with breakfast and daily hot lunches. Vikings can't work on an empty stomach!
- Lots of other great perks such as frequent company paid outings, events and get-togethers
Becoming a Viking:
Are you cut from our cloth? Does the idea of working for a gaming company and doing what you love every day get you so excited you kind of want to scream? Great! Send us your resume and cover letter.
Big Viking Games is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.