A Little About Us:
Making fans - That’s what we’re all about! Since our humble beginnings in 2011, these two words have driven Big Viking Games to become the successful company it is today. With over 100 Vikings already on board, and studios in both Toronto and London Ontario, we are focused on making our mark by building awesome free-to-play mobile and social games. Big Viking Games has proudly amassed millions of loyal fans across its many popular titles with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. We believe that by investing in our employees and in new technologies, such as HTML5, we can continue our success for years to come. With that in mind, we are on the hunt for exceptional talent to join our growing team, and that’s where you come in!
The Nitty Gritty:
Big Viking Games is looking for a qualified DevOps Lead to join the team and provide direct support to our game production teams and daily infrastructure needs. Our ideal candidate is ready and excited to work in a fast-paced environment, and will be motivated and passionate about driving our tech stack forward. This position is available at our Toronto, ON studio.
- Design, build, and maintain bare metal and cloud environments for several game titles. Ensure environments are resilient, secure, and performant. Diagnose and remedy hardware, software, and networking issues
- Act as a subject matter expert and mentor in DevOps best practices such as continuous integration, continuous delivery, and automation. Design and improve upon existing software development pipelines for shipping code and content changes through quality assurance and production
- Participate in platform and architecture design discussions. Actively seek out areas that can be automated through the integration of new technologies and best practices
- Be readily available to assist with outages, escalations, and other unexpected issues that may arise
- Various other tasks as required
- Design, setup, deploy, monitor and maintain various secure high performance game environments
- University Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent training / experience
- At least 2 years DevOps previous experience
- Solid experience and / or passion for working with technology and adapting to new and evolving strategies
- Fundamental and very strong understanding of Linux, NGINX, MySQL, PostgreSQL, TCP/IP networking, and storage (RAID & ZFS)
- Working with cloud service providers. Google Cloud and AWS experience is a definite plus
- Fundamental understanding and experience with Chef, Docker, and Jenkins
- Experience and ability to set up automated monitoring and alerting systems
- Active listening and critical thinking skills
- Ability to assess and evaluate high pressure situations effectively and accurately
- Ability to work in a very fast paced environment and work under pressure
- Ability to communicate well and effectively with others, across multiple teams and with different vendors
- Programming and scripting ability with Bash, Python, Ruby, etc
Nice to Haves
- Startup and fast-paced environment experience is a big plus
- Google App Engine experience
- Google Deployment Manager experience
- Google Container Engine (GKE) or Kubernetes experience
- Competitive salaries, Group Retirement Savings Plan matching & participation in the Employee Stock Option Plan
- Comprehensive benefit package (health, dental, and vision), including generous time off policies
- Stocked kitchen, unlimited snacks and beverages, along with breakfast and daily hot lunches. Vikings can't work on an empty stomach!
- Lots of other great perks such as frequent company paid outings, events and get-togethers.
Becoming a Viking:
Does the idea of working for a gaming company doing what you love every day sound exciting? Great, we’d love to hear from you! Send us your resume and cover letter.
Big Viking Games is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process.